Malta has been named by CNN the best place in the world to spend your Christmas holidays. If you have no idea of what to do in Malta for Christmas, we have listed for you lots of activities. Indeed, Christmas is a highly celebrated festivity in Malta and Gozo, because of its religious signification. The season is fully celebrated on the Maltese Islands. You will find nativity scenes, carol songs and other events are organized in the islands.
Christmas activities in Malta and Gozo
- Walk along the decorated streets of the capital, Valletta
- Visit the islands in order to find all the decorations (cribs, nativity scene…)
- Visit the most popular nativity village: Bethlehem in Gozo
Bethlehem in f’Għajnsielem is an animated nativity village spread on 20,000sqm of land. It offers naturalistic reproduction of Bethlehem and the timeless story of Nativity every December at ‘Ta Passi’ fields in Għajnsielem. The 9th edition of Bethlehem f’Ghajnsielem opens on Sunday, 10th December till Sunday, 7th January 2018. Although the nativity village is always open, it will only be animated on the following days:
|Sunday 10th||2.30pm – 7.30pm|
|Wednesday 13th||2.30pm – 7.30pm|
|Saturday 16th||4.30pm – 8.30pm|
|Sunday 17th||2.30pm – 7.30pm|
|Wednesday 20th*||9.30am – 12.00pm*|
|Thursday 21st*||9.30am – 12.00pm*|
|Saturday 23rd||4.30pm – 8.30pm|
|Sunday 24th||2.30pm – 6.00pm|
|Monday 25th||3.30pm – 8.00pm|
|Tuesday 26th||2.30pm – 7.30pm|
|Saturday 30th||4.30pm – 8.30pm|
|Sunday 31st||2.30pm – 6.00pm|
|Monday 1st||3. 30pm – 8.00pm|
|Saturday 6th||4.30pm – 8.00pm|
|Sunday 7th**||2.00pm – 8.00pm**|
* On 20th and 21st December, Bethlehem f’Ghajnsielem will open two special sessions in the morning, which will be animated by the Ghajnsielem Primary School children. Everyone is welcome!
** Bethlehem f’Ghajnsielem will once again close with the ADORATION OF THE MAGI on the Feast of Epiphany, Sunday 7th January. The three kings will start from Mellieha at 10.00am and catch the Gozo Channel ferry afternoon. Then, they will go to Bethlehem.
- Watch a side-splitting Pantomime
This consists on musical-comedy theatrical productions – Ideal for children and adults.
- Walk through the Christmas Market
- Enjoy a Christmas Concert
This is a great way to really get into the spirit of this special feast. You will find around the islands different concerts for the occasion.
- Join a Christmas Eve Procession
This is an old religious custom in various villages around Malta and Gozo.
- Attend Midnight Mass
As people are very religious, Christmas Eve midnight mass is very well attended. Furthermore, churches are decorated in a beautiful way.
- Enjoy restaurants special Christmas offers
Many restaurants have Christmas menus, packages or offer. In fact, a lot of Maltese choose to eat out for Christmas lunch.
- Santa’s Toy Town at Popeye Village
If you have kids take them to Santa’s Toy Town at Popeye Village.
We have been discovering the best for you on this island.