Come and Join the Opening Week in Valletta from the 14th of January until the 21st. A variety of activities will be happening in and around Valletta for the entire week leading up to the opening as Valletta European Capital of Culture 2018. The Opening Week events are divided into six different themes (click on the different themes in order to have more info about it):
- Festa: visit of bands clubs (kazin) and exhibition of bands/orchestras improvised almost everywhere in the capital during this week.
- Music & Theatre: Performances of street, poems, exhibitions, theater…
- Pop-up/Music: Ozzy Lino, a singer of jazz will sing in the streets of Valletta, but you will also hear some music on the ferry which connects Sliema to Valletta.
- Children & Young People: Museum of Invented Cultures plays upon the fact that 2018 is the European Year for Cultural Heritage, by using objects from the different cultures coming from children’s stories in schools and turning them into artefacts in this intergalactic museum.
- Sport: Exhibitions of the main sport played in Malta: Football.
- History: Discovery of the Saint Paul Anglican cathedral – emblem of the postcards of Valletta.
On the 20th of January, join the event Erba’ Pjazez, with shows every hour on the hour during the evening. Each show will be 20 minutes long, and each one will be repeated 5 times – at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm and 11pm, making sure that visitors to the capital during this special evening will not miss out. Erba’ Pjazez will be hosted in:
- Triton Square (Il-Qawma tat-Tritoni): The Spanish theatre company La Fura dels Baus will host a spectacular aerobatic choreographed show featuring a human net above the newly restored Triton Fountain. The show will include a pool of local talent, comprising of around 60 people. La Fura dels Baus is all about eccentricity, innovation, adaptation, rhythm, evolution and transgression, and they constantly redefine space and change the public’s role from passive to active.
- St George’s Square (Qalbna): ŻfinMalta will be hosting a modern dance. The show will feature dancers interacting with projected visuals and lighting effects.
- St John’s Square (Elfejn u Tmintax): A brand new choral symphony will be premiered on the steps of St John’s Cathedral. The performance will be accompanied by innovative lighting effects, which will illuminate the centuries old façade.
- Castille Square (Minn Qiegħ l-Imgħoddi għall-Quċċata tal-Ġejjieni): 3D mapping projections on the Auberge de Castille, which combine CGI components, music and visual special effects. 20 minutes extravaganza celebrates the past and prepares for an imagined future.
Finally, you can visit free of charge the Crypt and the shelters of the Second World War. You can also participate to a rowing race called “Regatta” between Sliema and Valletta (Marsamxett Harbour).
We see you there!
Photo Credit : Valletta 2018
We have been discovering the best for you on this island.