Birgufest will be organized by the Birgu Local Council, in collaboration with the Ministry of Tourism, Parliament Secretary for Culture and Local Government, The Department for Local Government and the Mediterranean Tourism Foundation. The 14th edition of Birgufest will be held in Birgu (also known as Vittoriosa) between Friday, 13th and Sunday, 15th October.
The programme of activities meets different sectors mostly the educational sector, presenting the historically rich city of Vittoriosa as well as the culture of the Maltese Islands.
For this event to be a success, the Birgu local council begins the required preparations from months before, with the help of local volunteers. All the hard work carried out during the past months is the guarantee for the success of Birgufest, a remarkable experience for those visiting, not only for the Maltese but also for the tourists who plan their holiday around Birgufest.
- On Friday evening, various bands will be playing in the main square and activities will go on until midnight.
- On Saturday, preparations for the candle light night will start early in the morning. The Red Hackled Pipe Bands and the In Guardia parade will march through the streets of Birgu. From early afternoon, with the help of many residents, 32,000 candles will start to be light; their light will showcase the beauty of the old but rich streets of the city and will amaze the thousands of visitors present during this spectacular night. Various bands and folklore groups, even international groups from Portugal and India, will entertain visitors during the night. A group of American street dancers, who were brought thanks to the American Embassy in Malta, will also participate in the activities. Also a Turkish group will entertain the crowd with a concert in the main square of Birgu.
- On Sunday, 15 October, from 10am till noon the Portuguese folklore group, accompanied by the Mnajra Folk Group from the island of Gozo, will put on a collaborative show in Main Square. This year, the Marsa Scouts Pipes and Drums and Wallace Pipes and Drums will be marching through the main streets of Birgu once again.
How to go to Birgufest?
- Ferry: On Saturday evening; you can find a ferry service and pass boats from Valletta until 2am.
- Car: There will also be a Park and Ride service from Garden Road, Zabbar, Triq Missjoni Taljana, Kalkara and Kordin (near the Hibs football ground) for the price of €1 per person.
We have been discovering the best for you on this island.